Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Jellyfish stings and being mrrr





I'm extremely mrrr today. Mrr, a word I picked up in college, is commonly used to indicate a feeling somewhat similar to "blah," "meh," or "giau," (pronounced 'goo') indicating that there is a source of great malcontent or displeasure in the mind of the person emitting the sound.


Right now, I'm mrrr.  I realize after a week in Grand Cayman that I miss the ocean life desperately.  Like most teenagers, I took my youthful environment completely for granted - I failed to understand that not everyone went to the beach every weekend, that not every teen had a boat in their backyard, that not everyone made haste down to the Keys for the lobster mini-season every July for scuba diving and lobster hunting.  I was more likely to complain about my Olympic-caliber track coach making me do 15 600-meter repeats in 90 degree weather with 90% humidity, or to be frustrated that the seas were running 5-7 feet in the bay, thus making it too choppy for a friends and family day on the ocean in our 24-foot Grady White (aptly named "Su-Kay" after my Mom and I).


After joining the Air Force, and seeing quite a bit of the other landscapes the good ol' US of A has to offer, I realize that I'm happiest in one of two places: either an ocean or a mountain range.  I take the mountains second to the ocean, because the one place I feel truly me is in the water.  When I'm scuba diving, for instance, I feel completely at peace.  There's something truly majestic about the world that exists beneath the waves, something that puts me in touch with a part of my soul that stays dormant when I'm away from the water too long.  Likewise, if you put me on a beach at sunrise or sunset, I'll tap into creative energies that seem to wither and go into a semi-permanent state of hibernation when surrounded by dirty snow and ice in the Midwest winter.


As I sit here in my office in South Bend, enjoying the ability to write my feelings at will and to ponder what really makes me happy, I have but two physical reminders of this amazing trip to the islands - a tan (which is still pretty dark, thanks to my genes, I suppose) and the remnants of my jellyfish sting.  Even a day where I was attacked by a fairly blobby, tentacled, gooey undersea native beats a normal, jellyfish-free day in a landlocked environment in sub-freezing temperatures (see below for picture of the offending creature - let's be honest, though, I was on his turf).  The sting is fading, although the series of brown spots left behind look suspiciously like scars. I suppose they will go away, too, although if they don't, I won't mind.  I could consider it my all-natural tattoo, a permanent reminder of a temporary feeling at 60 feet below the surface of the ocean. 






Truly, it's no wonder that one of my favorite quotes is simple: "The cure for anything is salt: sweat, tears, or the sea."  I leave you with a picture of me where I feel happiest (and where, 20 minutes later, Mr. Blobby Tentacles would latch onto my right hand for 10 seconds of pure stinging ouchiness.)





2 comments:

Laura said...

First, eww to Mr. Jellyfish and his ouchiness. Second, I'm a mountains girl myself, but your post does make me love the sea! From a safe distance, such as on a boat, or preferably on shore, or maybe in pictures. :)

Katherine said...

Well, maybe we can work on your fears when we're in the KEYS this summer...I can take you to some places where there's nothing but inanimate sea life (coral, seaweed, etc) to see what you think.